FIRST TEN YEARS CIRCA 1918- 1928
Click on photograph for larger version
The David Wilson
family-stepdaughter Anna Dora Maguinnes holding
her infant sister Eleanor Wilson, born in 1921. The home was a duplex
second from the end of Grant and Matthews; still occupied today but long
after Wilson family moved in later years.
(photo courtesy of R. Wriggens)
FIRST FIRE CHIEF &
Sr. and Ella Wolff holding their year old son Charlie Jr. in front of
the duplex he renovated to accommodate Ella’s parents (on the left half)
followed by renovation to the right side for his own family.
Photo dated November 13, 1927.\
HOME AT 240 S. LORETTA AVE. WOLFF FAMILY
OWNED AND OCCUPIED CONTINUOUSLY TO PRESENT
According to written account by
David Wilson, there were 84 homes with
110 school age children in the village in 1923. Half of the homes were
rented by Mays Landing Power and Water Company employees, and
the rest sold to the new families. This Charles Wolff duplex as seen in it’s
original early photo, is today exactly the same, but for two cosmetic changes:
The house was brown ( all of the original were either brown or green) and is
now painted yellow; and all the windows were replaced with same style and
(photos courtesy of Charlie Wolff Jr.)
FROM BELCOVILLE POST OFFICE
BELCOVILLE SCHOOL 1923
The former post office had been
converted into two classrooms under
the supervision of David Wilson. Mr. Edwin Krauss was one of the two
teachers hired for that school year (he remained as a teacher for years).
He is shown with his first class in the Spring of 1924, with his Model T
seen at the right. The vehicle on
the left is assumed to be transportation
for some students (an example of early Township busing).
(photo courtesy of Weymouth Township Museum)
BELCOVILLE GENERAL STORE
Originally a company store, it
remained a community business, which
was located at the corner of Madden and Darlington (fronting on Madden).
It was engulphed by a fire years later, being a total loss. Children could earn
few pennies by running errands for “picking up a few things” for neighbors.
(photo courtesy of Hagley Museum and Library)
Although the original site plans indicated two
churches were to be built,
they were not, due to the ending of the War. In civilian community life, an
organized non-denominational Church owned the rights to use of the
second floor of the Fire House. Pastors often were responsible for more
than one church. This tiny parsonage fronted Route 50, and was used as
such for years. Pictured left to right in this 1927 photo are Wolff family
members: Ella Wolff, son Charlie Jr., sister Ann
Zeitschel, mother Ann Hand
and Stella Sayres (later married John Wigglesworth).